Liberty Challenged in Nineteenth Century America Thesis and Outline.
Assignment 2.1: Liberty Challenged in Nineteenth Century America Thesis and Outline
Due Week 7 and worth 50 points
America became a free independent nation. With the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1783, the former mother country, England, recognized that its children, the colonies, were now on their own. A constitutional republic was birthed, and thus the challenges began. Slavery, the “Peculiar Institution,” was a monumental issue facing the country. Would it die or would it survive and possibly take a nation divided with it? This sectionalism followed Americans up into the Civil War. Dissect this crisis by addressing parts I and II below.
For the next part of this assignment, you will create an outline of the main points you want to address in this paper. This will serve as the basis for your Assignment 2.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please consult the Virtual Writing Center (VWC) for tips on how to construct a proper thesis. Visit the “Developing Your Content” section.)
- Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which you:
- State your thesis on the significance of this slavery issue, as exemplified in your research. Justify your response.
For the first part of this assignment, you will create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually a single sentence somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader. The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support of your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question or subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Please consult the Virtual Writing Center (VWC) for this assignment.)
For the next part of this assignment, you will create an outline of the main points you want to address in this paper. This will serve as the basis for your Assignment 2.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please consult the Virtual Writing Center (VWC) for this assignment.)
2. Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Describe two (2) outcomes of the 3/5ths Compromise, Missouri Compromise of 1820, Compromise of 1850, Kansas-Nebraska Act, and the Dred Scott Decision. Note: Be sure to provide two (2) outcomes for each legislation.
- Suggest three (3) reasons why slavery was and is incompatible with our political and economic system.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that led to the Civil War.
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the main factors that led to America’s early development.
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the heritages of slavery, the Civil War, and Reconstruction have shaped America’s history.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
- Examine how changes in social and economic conditions and technology can cause corresponding changes in the attitudes of the people and policies of the government.
- Specify ways that women and minorities have responded to challenges and made contributions to American culture.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in American History to 1865.
- Write clearly and concisely about American History to 1865 using proper writing mechanics.
Liberty Challenged in Nineteenth Century America Thesis and Outline